Great conversation with Lori LaBey of Alzheimers Speaks. Here are some questions that she suggested that help caregivers (or anybody!) differentiate between healthy caregiving and enabling.
1. Do I want to do __________ for this person?
2. Am I motivated by love, fear or guilt?
3. Am I doing what I am doing because it is expected of me?
4. Is it what I want to give of myself?
5. Does this feel right to me?
6. Am I putting more effort into this than they are?
7. Will doing this make me feel good and why?