An area of research that is demonstrating the physiological underpinnings of what spiritual teachers have communicated for centuries is neuro-cardiology.
Our hearts are not merely biological pumps that work diligently on our behalf throughout our lives with little maintenance or care although that by itself is pretty spectacular! It turns out that the heart is a larger player in our spiritual connection, life experience and mind-body connection than the western world has thought.
Recent Research Regarding Heart and Its Function
1. Even though the brain sends signals to the heart, the heart selectively decides whether to obey them or not. In other words, it has intelligence of its own.
2. Conversely, when the heart sends signals to the brain, the signals are obeyed!
3. Conditions in the heart appear to influence behavior. We are all aware of people who seem to have an angry heart. Proper training in how to produce coherent heart rhythms helps to shift emotions, causing behavior changes.
4. The pulsations of our hearts are an intelligent language that influences how we perceive and react to the world. When we focus on the heart and produce coherent rhythms, we see more clearly, are less influenced by the primitive brain and are more open to receiving input from our higher centers. This input has wisdom and creativity of which our lower brain centers are not capable.
5. The electromagnetic power of the heart is five thousand times stronger than that of the brain. This amazing fact points to the centrality of the heart in all areas of our lives.
6. The electronic signature of a person’s heartbeat can be found in the ECG of another person in proximity. Once again we have new science showing why we feel some of the things that we do such as feeling in or out of phase with another.
7. The energy field of the heart can project out 10-12 feet from the body. With this kind of projection, it follows that we are sensing and feeling a great deal of our environment and perhaps not registering or understanding the ramifications of that sensing.
8. Coherent heart rhythms have been shown to positively combine with intention and attention to create biological change. So coherence is good for us physically and emotionally, while it can also help us to create external changes in our lives.
Many people have spoken and written about the healing effects of gratitude on themselves and others. Now it can be demonstrated that there are very real physiological reasons for this.
What a relief!
It’s healthy to be happy!